Talking about money with your partner is tough. Eventually, we all have to do it. Don’t try to negotiate about money before airing your feelings; otherwise, negotiations will always break down. Here are some tips to get started with talking to your partner about money:
- Find an appropriate and stress free time when money is not a loaded issue (don’t use tax season for example).
- Articulate your concerns and fears about your partner’s money style. After you express your concerns, acknowledge what you admire about their methods.
- Talk to your partner about your goals for the future, short and long-term.
- Share your hopes and dreams.
- Contemplate making a shared budget or a spending plan together by merging your hopes and the goals.
- Set up a time to have the next talk. Aim for weekly conversations in the beginning, then monthly ones.
Source: Mellon, Men, Women, and Money